Recently, I joined a new writing website where you have to critique other writers’ stories to post your own. At first, I didn’t think I would like that system, but so far I love it. As I was reading all the different stories on Scribophile and Fictionpress, I started thinking, “Trying to be a published writer is hard.”
For the experienced writers who are published, I’m sure you all realized this years ago, but the reality is finally hitting me.
- I’ve posted this gif a lot, but it’s so true! Writing is Hard!
If you tell people you write, they mostly say, “Oh, that’s nice. Don’t quit your day job.” My response is usually a laugh and saying, “Thanks.” *rolls eyes and thinks, ‘You try writing a book – crafting characters, creating new worlds, and building backstory out of nothing’.
- Most readers will not find your story! Whenever I’m on Fictionpress, Wattpad and WordPress I think, ‘When will more readers notice my work!!’
While I was scanning through stories on Fictionpress.com, I noticed a lot, and I mean A LOT of writers that did not have any reads or reviews on their stories. Now don’t get me wrong, I know Fictionpress is a semi-dead website, but still, I was a little surprised. There were some good stories there that barely had reviews. Like, 20 chapter stories with only five reviews.
- Feedback hurts. When I read feedback, my thoughts are, ‘Thanks for the feedback! This will be really helpful…WHY DON’T THEY LIKE MY WORK!!!’ *tries to smile*
Yes, feedback hurts, it just does, but it’s needed to improve. Now since I’m on Scribophile, I need to buckle down and accept what people are telling me.
- There is more work beyond writing! Marketing!! This goes back to the notice me, but damn, marketing your story is like another job. So you are telling me I have to write the story, do the first edit, find beta-readers, then edit again and then promote myself? While not getting paid!
My thoughts summed up:
I’ve already tried to market my stories before, and I didn’t get that many readers. However, I’m going to try again on not just Wattpad.
5. No one owes you anything. Yeahhh, you know, after you spent all that time writing your story, you think, yes I will get published one day! I’ve earned it. Nope! No one owes you anything. You may have written the next big story like Harry Potter, but if the agent or publisher doesn’t like it, then goodbye! Life doesn’t owes you a thing.
So yeah, it hurts, but it’s true. Now since I have a better sense of what to expect from writing, the pain is less, but hey, maybe one day magic will happen. Magic as in one day I will get published and have a decent fanbase =)
What hard truths did you learn about being a writer?