I know the title of this isn’t very helpful, but I’ll you give some background on this topic. However, before I tell you what’s going on, I just want to say I usually don’t post things like this on my blog. I mostly just want to get people’s opinions. Opinions not from teens or people barely in their 20s on the particular website I am referring to.
Before I post this, I just want to say, please be respectful and don’t attack anyone.
Ok, so a certain website (where serial fiction is posted) that will not be named (because it’s seriously a scary place) is now only paying the “popular” writers through ads. So, if you read a story, you’ll have to play a 5-10 second ad to keep reading. The more ads played on the story, the more money both the said writer and website get. Now, I’m going to bullet point this to share my thoughts:
- I think writers getting paid to write their stories is a wonderful thing.
- However, it bothers me that some “fanfiction” writers are also getting paid through this process. Some of these “fanfiction” writers have even commented their writing isn’t professional enough to be published. And yet, they are getting money.
- Only “popular” writers are getting this benefit, which I understand because they have the most reads.
- The goal of this program is to become like the writing site of YouTube. Sometimes I wonder how this will affect the publishing industry.
- Yes, I know one should only worry about themselves and not others, but it’s still interesting to watch. People who were already egotistical have gotten worse.
- I feel like we’re seeing a shift in what good writing once was (more stories like 50 Shades and After are birthing from the internet). Hmm, it kind of reminds me of fast food. People want quick food they can eat on the go – it doesn’t matter about quality. That’s kind of like these stories. Quick action, quick romance, undeveloped characters, poorly written and more. Maybe we’re seeing the rise of the fast food industry of writing. And we all know what we think of fast food now…
Maybe it was only a matter of time this was going to happen. Now don’t get me wrong, I know not ALL the stories are like that, just the majority.
I know nothing will change, but I still like respectful discussions on topics ^____^