How is everyone doing?! I know it’s been a while since I posted a real discussion, but I’m back! Real quick, I want to give you some updates on what I’ve been working on.
- Preparing for my trip to Tokyo this month. I leave at the end of the month, so I’m practicing my Japanese^^
- There have been many changes at work, so that’s been bothering me. I don’t know what will happen, but I’ll take it one day at a time.
- I’m trying to get a full-time writing job. Yes, I’m working on a career change right now to be a full-time Technical Writing until I get an agent, so I’ve been working on that.
- Writing and preparing my stories for submission. This is an ongoing process and takes time. I’ll be submitting Clash of Tides next year, and hopefully, 9/Nine Realms, too.
- Working on my artwork. I would love to make a comic for Clash of Tides^^
- Lots and lots of beta reading! I’m doing manuscript reviews right now, so that’s also taking my time.
Whew…so, that was a lot. Now since you all know what I’ve been doing, let’s discuss today’s topic. So recently, I asked a writing and art community how they felt about supporting a fellow artist. For example, let’s say you enjoy a writer’s work, follow them and read their stories. Would you want that writer to also read your stuff?
Well, the responses were a little shocking, and the conclusion was that most writers wouldn’t support a fellow writer. Well, unless they liked that fellow writer’s work. Honestly, it makes sense, but I’ve always supported my fellow writers whether I liked their work or not.
For me, even if I don’t like the other writer’s work, I can at least provide some feedback on why I didn’t like it.
I know everyone doesn’t have time to support their fellow writers. So if you are a new writer starting out, don’t expect anyone – least of all other writers – to support you. Most likely, they won’t.
Honestly, I don’t want to jump to any conclusions on this, and I would love to get everyone’s thoughts.
Question: Do you think writers should support each other? If yes, please tell me why. If no, please explain.
Lastly, what are you working on right now?
(all gifs are from https://giphy.com)